2kg chuck steak
2 onions, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves
150g pancetta – chopped (I used bacon)
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 ½ tablespoons paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper – hot (you can adjust depending on taste)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 cup red wine
2 teaspoons brown sugar
3 cups beef stock
2 x 400g cans kidney beans
Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped.
Salt and pepper
1. Use 2 tablespoons of oil to brown beef in batches.
2. Reduce heat to medium and use remaining oil to fry onion, garlic and pancetta for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add cumin, tomato paste, paprika, cayenne pepper and oregano. Cook 1 minute.
4. Add wine, passata, sugar, stock and season with salt and pepper.
5. Return beef to pan, bring to boil, cover and cook for 3 hours at 170 degrees.
6. Before serving, add beans and parsley and warm through.
7. Serve with sour cream.